Linksys smart wifi
Linksys is one of the best networking hardware companies in the market and it makes data networking hardware for everybody that wants to set up a home network or even for small businesses. There were many people who found it difficult to access the Linksys router login page and some people found it really difficult to find the default IP address of their routers. So Linksys gave a solution to this problem. They now ship their routers pre configured to use www.linksyssmartwifi.com to log in to the Linksys routers. This has made it easier for its users to log in to their Linksys routers and no longer do they need to remember the default IP addresses specific for their routers. Alternatively, there are a few default IP addresses specific for some older or newer router models. The default IP addresses can be used to log in to the router login page using the default information required. The default IP addresses are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. The user can either use www.linksyssmartwifi.com or either of the two IP addresses to login to their routers.
Logging in to the routers is a very crucial part of the initial setup. By logging in to the router, the user can secure their network by setting up a personalized password for their hoe network so that nobody can use their network and the content on their network without their permission. By logging in, the user can also get access to the advanced features of their router as well such as the Wireless feature, Security, Access Restriction, Administration, Gaming, Configuring and repairing the router and more. All of these features and some more can be accessed after logging in to the router via the router’s web based setup interface.
Securing the router is also a very important part of the experience as all the sensitive information passes through the router. There is a lot of sensitive information of the user that passes through the router such as their banking information if they chose to buy something online, their emails and passwords, their private information and more. There are a lot of potential threats as well if the network isn’t secure. All the sensitive information could fall into the wrong hands. Most people either don’t know about logging in to their routers or just don’t want to because they don’t feel it’s important. It may be a few months or a few years, but down the line there is a good chance that the user might face problems if they haven’t logged in and secured their network.
One of the major advanced features include checking up on your router’s firmware on the web based interface after logging in to the router. Updating the firmware is very important as it helps in keeping the router up to date with the new media technology that keeps surfacing almost every other day. Keeping the firmware updated will allow the router to be able to connect to the new media devices and so that the user doesn’t have to go around buying new routers every time they wish to buy a new media device.
Here, we will show you the steps necessary to setup and login to your Linksys router using www.linksyssmartwifi.com, reset the router, upgrade the firmware and change the username and password for your Linksys router.
How to login to the Linksys Router for the first time
- Connect the computer to any of the LAN port of the router via an Ethernet cable.
- Power on the router and the computer.
- Now, open up a web browser of your choice and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar of the web browser. Alternatively, you can use the default IP address of the router which in most cases is 192.168.1.1.
- You will see a login window appear asking you for the default username and password. The default username and password are “admin” for both the cases.
If by some chance the default password doesn’t work, then there is a chance that the user might have changed the password. In that case, type in the personalized passwords. If that fails too, then the router needs to be reset in order to restore all the default factory settings.
You will now be logged in to your router. From here on, you can access the web based interface to get access to the advanced features of the router.
How to setup the Linksys Router using the Smart Wizard
- Connect the Linksys router to a power source and wait for the power LED light to become stable.
- Using an Ethernet cable, connect the computer that you are using to setup to any of the LAN ports of the router.
- Connect to your network on the device.
- Now, open up a web browser of your choice and type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar. Alternatively, you can use the default IP address of the router which is 192.168.1.1 to log in to the router.
- You will be prompted to enter the default information. Enter the default username and password. The default username and password are “admin” for both cases.
- After logging in successfully, there will be a License Terms option with a check box in front of it. Click the checkbox. Click Next.
- After pressing the Next button, you will be prompted to login to the PPPoE account. Fill the information and click Next.
- After logging in to the PPPoE account, you will see another pop up window asking you to fill in the desired Network Name and Password.
It is recommended that the password should be strong and not too common.
After the steps are completed, you will receive a message saying “Your Linksys Router is Setup”. That means your Linksys router will be setup. You can go on to use your router now.
How to reset the Linksys Router
There might be instances where the user wishes to reset their Linksys router. Here are some steps to reset the router:
- Locate the Reset button at the back of the router.
- Using a paper clip or something similar, press and hold the Reset button for about ten seconds.
- After holding the reset button for ten seconds, release it.
Some older models may require holding the Reset button for about thirty seconds. After the lights stop blinking and the power light becomes stable, that means the router has been reset.
It is advised that the reset process should never be interrupted as it may corrupt the router and may even render it useless.
Resetting the router via the web based setup page:
- Access the router’s web based setup page.
- On the router’s web based setup page, click the Administration tab. Now, click on Factory Defaults sub tab.
- Under the Factory Defaults tab, click on the Restore Factory Defaults button.
Your router will now begin the reset process. After a minute, the power light will become stable. That means the router will now be reset. You can now go on to use your router as you please.
How to change the username and password for your Linksys Router
- Log in to your Linksys Router by typing www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar of a web browser of your choice using either the default username or password or if you have set up a personalized username and password, then enter that information and log in.
- Click the Administration tab on the web based interface. Under the Management option, you will see your current username and password.
- Change the username and password as you desire. After you have changed the username and password, click Save Settings.
The username and password for you Linksys Router will now be changed. You can now log in to your network using any wireless device by entering the new username and password and use your internet as you desire.
How to Update the Firmware of your Linksys Router
A firmware update is very important as it fixes any bugs or issues with the router. It may also add some new features to the router and help increase the overall speed. But most importantly, the firmware update provides better security and removes any vulnerability from the router’s firmware. There are a lot of potential threats to the router and all the sensitive information passing through the router such as the banking information of the user, their emails and passwords, their private information and more. So it is advised to update the firmware of the router when it is released. Here are some steps to update the firmware of the Linksys router:
- Open up a web browser of your choice and type www.support.linksys.com in the address bar.
- Type the model number of your router in the search box provided and hit enter. You will then be taken directly to the support page of the router.
- On the support page, select the Downloads tab from near the middle of the screen.
- You will see a download named “Firmware”. Click on Download. Save the file to the desired location.
- Now, go to your Linksys router’s web based setup page by typing www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar of a web browser.
- You will be prompted to enter the default username and password. The default username and password are “admin” for both cases.
- Now, click on the Administration tab at the top of the web based setup page. Then click on Firmware Update.
- Now, a pop up box will open. Click on Browse and navigate to the previously downloaded firmware that you saved in the desired location.
- Click on Open and then click on Start Update.
- Now, wait for the update to finish. A pop up will appear after a while informing that the update process has been completed. Click Continue to finish the update process.
It is advised that the update process is not disturbed anyhow as it may corrupt the router and might even render the router useless.
The firmware of your Linksys Router will now be updated. You can now go on to use the router as you desire.
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) answered:
- How do I log in to my Linksys Router?
You can simply type www.linksyssmartwifi.com in the address bar of a web browser and use the default information to login to the router.
- What is the default username and password for my Linksys router?
The default username and password for most of the Linksys routers is “admin” for both the cases.
- Why do I need to update my firmware on my router?
The firmware needs to be updated in order to stay up to date with all the new media devices and to remove any bugs and issues with the router.
- If I reset the router, will the settings be lost too?
Yes, if you chose to reset your router the personalized settings will be reset as well.
- Can I leave my Linksys router on or do I have to shut it down?
You can choose to leave your router on for as long as you desire.
- What is the default IP address of my Linksys router?
The default IP address of your Linksys router is 192.168.1.1. Alternatively, you can login to your Linksys router’s login page using www.linksyssmartwifi.com as well.
- How do I secure my network?
You can secure your network by setting up a personalized username and password.
- What will happen if I forget to update my router’s firmware?
You might be deprived of all the new features added to your router and your network security might become vulnerable to potential threats.
- I cannot access the web based interface using 192.168.1.1. What should I do?
You can use the www.linksyssmartwifi.com website to access the Linksys router web based interface.
- I forgot my router password. What should I do?
You can reset your router and then go on to access the login page and use the default information to access the router login page.